Job Title: Architect - Design Associate- Full Time - 40 hours a week
Location: North Dallas
You will be working in a 4-person micro-interior design practice with over 20 years of experience. Everyone wears multiple hats, some days will be mundane, others exhilarating even a few that are exasperating, but rarely will they be the same.
While Sara Jane King Design has extensive experience in residential, hospitality, corporate and senior living project types, its primary focus is on residential projects. Because of this, we have chosen to have our offices in the home of Sara Jane King, the principal designer. We believe this environment informs what we do as well as supports a familial environment where everyone pitches in to accomplish tasks and goals.
The position will include the following tasks:
Survey/Field Measure, Create “As Built” Drawings, Furnishings Inventory
Programming – Assist w/discovering constraints of project – site, codes, resources
Assist w/ developing design program with drawings, product evaluation/specification, work with trades in Mechanical/Technology systems evaluation
Prepare Cost Estimates for the Development of Design Program – write specs/supplemental drawings to provide vendors with enough information to provide accurate quotes for project, knowledge of construction techniques and practices able to direct trades people in the field to execute
Develop Renderings – 2D and 3D for the Presentation of Design Program to clients
Prepare Furniture Plans
Create Implementation Documentation including drawings, details, product schedules, cost estimate, time schedule
Ability to follow conventional construction documentation formats.
Construction Administration/Site Visits during Implementation Phase, Update Time Schedules as needed, Revise Cost Estimate if/when change orders occur
Prepare Furniture Tear Sheets
Get Material/Finish Samples
Maintain an inventory of Furnishings, Objects and Art.
Installation of Furnishings, Objects and Art
We are a Mac based company, we work with the following software/apps, a working knowledge, or familiarity with the following programs will be necessary to fulfill your duties.
- CAD based programs (such as: AutoCAD, TurboCAD Mac2D-Designer 8)
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Apple Equivalent of Office (Pages, Numbers, Keynote)
Personal qualities required
- Detail Oriented
- The ability to adapt to multiple environments, and expectations
- Ability to think literally – constructively – demonstrate the ability to draw/represent what will be built or installed, think through requirements for space to work as designed
- Good problem solving skills
- Good Time Management Skills
- Proficient with Apple based Technology
- Able to communicate effectively in English both in written and verbal form.
- The ability to work as a team member and switch tasks readily while maintaining scope and time frame of all work to be done.
Compensation: Commensurate with Experience
***If you've read this far you might be interested in the position. Beyond your resume, we would like to see you consider a few questions in your cover letter.
What qualities do you think you would bring to our practice?
Are there any skills required for the job that you think you will need to “brush up” on? (Using the Mac, etc…)
When you can start?